How many endangered species may be harmed by the oil spill?

By the Endangered Species Coalition’s count, 43 imperiled, threatened and endangered species live in or migrate through the Gulf region and could be harmed by the oil spill. If the oil spill is carried further by the loop current up the coast of Eastern Florida and further north, many more species could be impacted.

Which species might be harmed?

There are 10 mammals, 8 fish, 6 marine mammals, 7 birds, 7 reptiles, 3 plants and 2 corals that are threatened or endangered and are within the path of the oil spill in the Gulf. To see the complete list of impacted species, please see our impacted species page.

How does oil harm endangered species?

Oil harms endangered wildlife and plants in a number of different ways. To learn more see our related factsheets.

What should I do if I find oiled or injured wildlife?

If you find wildlife that appears to be oiled or injured, please call 1-866-557-14401. Individuals are urged not to try to help any injured wildlife but to report and sightings to the toll-free number. Proper authorities will be dispersed to the area to confirm the sighting and will move forward from there.

How can I report an oiled shoreline?

To report an oiled shoreline, please call 1-866-4448-5816. This number may also be contacted if you wish to request information on volunteering.

Where can I find information about water and sediment testing along the beaches?

The EPA is currently collecting and analyzing water and sediment samples to help states and other federal agencies understand the immediate and long-term impacts of oil contamination along the Gulf coast. The results and the interpretation of all data collected by EPA will be posted to www.epa.gov/bpspill. For more specific information on coastal water sampling, click here. For more specific information on sediment sampling click here.

How do I know if my drinking water is safe?

The oil spill is not currently expected to affect drinking water. The closest reservoir for drinking water is located 49 miles upstream on the Mississippi River. Concerns about drinking water should be minimal as the oil is not expected to move this far up stream. If you have any concerns about your water quality or would like more information regarding safe drinking water you may contact your water utility.

Where can I find information about air quality in areas contaminated by oil?

The EPA has initiated an air monitoring effort to ensure the safety of local residents and track any developing air quality changes. For any concerns about the potential impact of air quality, please visit http://airnow.gov/ or http://www.epa.gov/bpspill/qanda.html#aq for more information.

Where can I find port-specific information regarding boat safety and oil cleanup?

For port-specific information on boat safety and vessel decontamination in Florida, Louisiana, and Alabama, please click here.

How do I report a claim?

To file a claim, individuals may call 1-800-440-08658 (TYY device 1-800-572-30653). Claims may also be filed online by accessing the Claims submission form, or by mail, sent to address: ESIS, One Beaver Valley Road, Wilmington, DE 19803.

Claims may include but are not limited to:
· Property damage
· Net loss of profits and earning capacity
· Subsistence loss and natural resource damage
· Removal and cleanup costs
· Cost of increased public services
. Net loss of government revenue

For more information on how to submit a claim please visit BP’s Oil Response website and click on How to Make a Claim.

How can I help out as a volunteer?

As a volunteer you will not come into contact with oil contaminated materials, but may perform mitigation activities in non-oil contaminated areas such as pre-cleaning beaches. Volunteers will be allowed to work in wildlife recovery and rehabilitation facilities, but cannot handle wildlife unless you have federal or state wildlife licenses. Please note that generally all volunteers must be 18 years of age or older to participate. To request more information about volunteering please call 1-866-448-5816, or contact one of the following organizations for state-specific volunteer efforts:
Louisiana: http://www.volunteerlouisiana.gov/ or call 2-1-1 or 1-800-755-5175
Mississippi: http://www.mcvs.org
Florida: http://www.volunteerflorida.org/
Alabama: http://www.servealabama.gov/ or call 2-1-1 or 1-888-421-1266